Serve over white rice with a side dish, corn, hot bread rolls etc…
- 4 to 5 lb. CatFish, (This is approx. weight before cleaned) you can cook with or without bones.
- 2 tbl spoons of vegetable oil to coat bottom of pot (I like to use a cast iron black pot)
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- ½ cup of green onion chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup of parsley flakes
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tbl spoons of flour
- Cajun Seasoning to taste (I use Camp Dog Cajun Seasoning) original blend
- 1/2 cup of water to mix with flour to use as a thickener.
How to cook:
- Clean and cut catfish into steaks
- Season fish with Cajun Seasoning only
- Pour oil into pot and heat on medium setting
- Once oil is hot stir in cut onions and sauté for a few minutes then add green onions and cook slow for about 15 minutes, once onions get transparent add tomato sauce, garlic and parsley and cook slow for about another 30 minutes stirring often, add just a little water to keep from sticking.
- Now you are ready to lay your fish steaks in, try not to double stack if possible.
- Reduce heat cover and let cook very slow, do not stir but shake the pot often to keep from sticking. If the fish is fresh it should produce its own water. (you may add just a little if needed.)
- Cook for about 30 minutes then mix the flour and water and pour over the fish. Shake, cover and continue to cook for another 20 to 30 minutes until fish is cooked and sauce is just covering the fish.
- Serve over a bed of hot rice with sides be very careful with bones if left in: ENJOY!